Travel made easy! Plan, execute and experience a great trip by thinking through some of the most important aspects of your next vacay step by step. Over the last year, Vladimir and I have been away travelling almost every single month, exploring different countries and a dozen of islands. Most of our trips were thoroughly enjoyable, but I must admit there have been a few where a bit more planning would have been handy.
We all need to learn from our own mistakes, but it is even better if we learn from the mistakes other people make. I’ve come to the conclusion that to make a good trip great, it requires planning of a few simple, yet crucial aspects.
1. Find the right destination – there are many places that one would like to visit, that’s without a doubt, but timing is important. You need to find the right destination for the time you wish to travel. You may find that your desired destination is cheaper in a particular month but will you enjoy it as much? Will you be able to do everything you want to do? Choosing a low season is not always the best option to save a buck, but sometimes it can be. For instance we like to start our summer with an early June holiday. We visited both Thassos and Mykonos in early June this and last year and both destinations offerred great value.
2. Decide how long you would like to stay - no matter where you go you always need to know exactly how long you need to be there to do the things you want to do. Time is never enough and in many cases, you won't have enough time and will always want to go back, but in some cases, you'll have too much time and wonder what to do. Time is precious and needs to be spent and lived well! We were able to explore the Amalfi Coast in a week starting our trip with Salerno and Peastum. Overall it was an active, but relaxing holiday too as we spent two days in Ravello and Positano.
3. Make a budget – I’ve visited a lot of places under-prepared, for example, I have a daily budget of around 50 euro, but sometimes to have fun you need double that. Do your homework and thorough research to learn more about your destination and your optimal budget. Be prepared, always save more money than you anticipate you may need. It’s a good thing to have a good buffer and not worry about it when you’re there. Credit Cards are a great tool when it comes to unforseen expenses. A comprehensive medical insurance is a great idea and we hope that you won't need to use one, but if you get in trouble it can save you a lot of money.
4. Find the best accommodation – think of the type of trip you are having. Will you be exploring a city or a particular area or would you be laying on the beach all day? That matters because sometimes it’s better to book a cheaper hotel if you are just going to spend the nights there, but sometimes it’s better to book a more expensive one if you are planning to devote more time in the hotel. Also, when it comes to hotels it is always good to book hotels in advance, and with such that offer free cancellation. Shop around a couple of other hotels, you might find something much better and for lower price days just before your departure. Here is a list of our preferred platforms for booking accommodation that help us plan our trips.
5. Think of any logistical aspects –cars, planes, airport transfers and ways to reach your chosen accommodation. A great web resource to help you bag the flight which best suits your needs is https://www.skyscanner.net/Shuttle, buses, and trains would often suffice when it comes to reaching your end destination on land, but sometimes you may need to use a taxi. Taxiing around is usually expensive, but we do like using Uber ! If you haven't registered you can get your first ride for free (value amounts vary by location) when you use the following invite code: vladimirt136ue
6. Plan your actual stay – if you’ll be exploring a city and landmarks think of the best order to visit them all. Also, find excellent restaurants or clubs. Always be prepared as you don't want to be spending your hard earned money on an overpriced average restaurant. Look for some blogs, travel guides, etc., you might get inspired.
7. Finally, enjoy your vacation! Following simple steps may sometimes seem not necessary at all, but having some experience, you’ll realize that if you want to enjoy and really get the rest you deserve you need to have a good plan and a clear vision of what you want to do and how you want to do it. Having said that it is also good to embrace the moment and stay open to any adventure or fun opportunities that come your way!
What are you thoughts? Is there something you would like to add? Let us know in the comments bellow, help us to help you!