Santorini is a famous travel location and experiencing it in person is even better! This beautiful destination offers many things you can try and do. Some of them are definitely worth it, others not so much and there are some that are awesome but pricey, like a helicopter tour of the island for instance. Below is the list of what I would personally recommend to you our dear GGT readers. Enjoy!
1. Try Donkey beer – this local Santorini beer comes with several different labels among which are the White Donkey, Yellow Donkey, Red Donkey and last but not least Crazy Donkey. We tried them all during our stay on the island, and the Crazy Donkey undoubtedly stands out as my personal favourite. Served in a champagne style bottle s cool Crazy Donkey makes a perfect companion on a sunny summer day. Unfortunately, the Crazy Donkeys are difficult to come across, and many of the restaurants and shops we visited didn’t offer the brew. Accept this a challenge and trust me, you need to try one, so do your best to find one.
2. Steps to Thira - One of the main attractions of the capital of Santorini (Thira) are the steps to the port. There are 588 of them! There are several ways to reach the port. You can do it by foot, get a cable lift ride or hop on a donkey! For the price of 6 euro, a donkey can get you either up the stairs or down. Don’t worry, it’s entirely safe for both you and the donkey and it takes only 10 minutes.
3. Sunset in Oia – The romantic sunset of Oia will surely take your breath away and is a must when visiting Santorini. The city of Oia is magnificent itself and offers delightful opportunities for an unforgettable walk with your significant other. Oia offers many shops with really cool clothes for both men and women. Here, you can find 100% linen shirts, pants, and dresses at a reasonable price.
4. Santorini’s local food – Greece is well known for the high variety of local specialties it offers, and Santorini has some typical foods of its own. You can try Santorini salad, Fava and Tomatokeftedes- deliciously fried tomato balls. All of the above are excellent appetizers, and I would recommend that you try them all. I almost forgot to mention that there is a special olive flavored ice cream!
5. Hot springs - getting on a cruise tour is another exciting experience offered by Santorini. There are several different types of cruises- the sunset or volcano experience. Assuming you’ve already been to Oia and you have seen the sunset, I would recommend that you choose the volcano option. It will get you to Nea Kameni, Santorini ’s volcano. It’s surrounded by warm waters known for their therapeutic benefits and one great way to spend several hours of the shore.
6. Black/Red beach – Santorini is not very famous for its beaches, but there are several worth mentioning, namely the Black and Red beaches. They are located in the eastern part of the island and near each other, so visit them both if the time allows.
7. Enjoy a meal with a view over Caldera – the most amazing part of our Santorini experience are the views the island offers. The spectacular Santorini Caldera (large volcanic crater) views are a great opportunity to capture some beautiful moments through the lens of your camera and make them last a lifetime.